Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 16:31:43 -0500

Tom Coleman wrote:

My wife purchased my a Leica M series range finder for Christmas and I'm
thrilled.  Up until now, I've used a Minolta SLR and have enjoyed the
through the lens focusing and zoom lenses which allow flexibility in
composition.

I'm really torn now whether I should keep the Leica M or exchange it for
the R series SLR.  Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
<<<

Tom,

Your wife's a "keeper".  Be sure you let her know that.  Rangefinder
cameras in general, and the Leica M in particular, have unique qualities
that one cannot fully appreciate at first glance.  I personally use Leica R
cameras because wildlife is my specialty but in my college days I borrowed
a rangefinder Leica for a few months and thouroughly enjoyed its purposeful
simplicity, the quick, nearly-silent operation, and its unbeatable
"stealth" factor.

If you already have a specialty like wildlife or macro that demands an SLR,
then trading for an R may be the best for you.  Otherwise I'd give the M6 a
few months' trial before making any decisions you'd (undoubtedly) regret.

Doug Herr
Sacramento