Subject: RE: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:58:58 -0800

B.D. wrote:

>I wonder if the day will ever come when, even on this list, people will come
>to admit that some cameras are terrific for some things, and some cameras
>are terrific for others?>>>>>>

Hi BD,

You know BD that is one of the simple facts of Leica, it doesn't matter how
good a photographer one is with M or R, to me they're merely tools of the
trade. I use the proper tool for the appropriate assignment, sure there are
times where I'm firing away with both, simply because they drive nails
differently.

And for some of the folks who can't over come the idea that both cameras
are equal for the right moment or type of photgraphy is rediculous.

When I have to be squeaky quiet I wouldn't entertain the thought of an R8
for the blink of an eye, it would be M all the way. And yes I'd expect I
would have to give up the odd frame because I didn't have a longer lens to
reach for good tight images. But you learn to live with that, accept it and
make something else work.

By the same token, I've had M type cameras with me at international sports
events where they rarely if ever leave the case from Opening to Closing
ceremonies, sure you can use them for happy snaps, but that's about it.

Sports  assignments are SLR country 99.9% of the time, yep there's the odd
occasion when an M is fine, but it's really only the tiny .09%.

So guys give up the SLR -- M grudge feelings, they don't wash if your
working the profession and know which tools to use with which picture
project.

I you put it in this kind of context: a photographer with an R8 and a bunch
of lenses can out shoot any photographer working only M's. Period!  There
isn't any argument .....Unless!!  You present the silent factor...then the
M wins hands down. Period. No argument!   How much more simpler can that be?

ted.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant