Subject: [Leica] Re: Passport Un-Warranty
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:29:52 -0800 (PST)

"Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com> wrote:

So are you expecting your auto-warranty to cover theft
also?
Would you buy a new car without a warranty?
The warranty is just that, a WARRANTY, not insurance.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  .

Nice try Dan, but your argument doesn't fly.  Does
your car warranty cover mechanical damage caused by
you?  Of course not.  Make no mistake about it.  Leica
USA is forcing you to couch up a couple hundred
dollars or so for a warranty (a.k.a.
insurance)...which most people don't need.  I just
purchased a car with a 100,000 mile "Manufactures"
warranty, good anywhere in the world.  If I were to
sell that car, the warranty is transferable to the new
owner.  Is that true of the Leica Passport
warranty?...Hell no.  I think at the top of the
passport warranty it should say in big red letters
"HELLO SUCKER".

It's a rip-off.  It's like purchasing the "Collision
Damage Waver" when you rent a car.  The "Passport
warranty" just represents EXTRA PROFIT for Leica.
Nothing more...nothing less.  At least you have the
option of declining the "Collision Damage Waver".

Regards,

Bill