Subject: Re: [Leica] Print Drydown (was All hail Tri-X, etc.)
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 01:11:21 -0600

I just finished making about 1000 prints as Xmas presents, mostly from Leica
negatives on Ilford Delta films and printed on Ilford MGIV RC paper.  (I make
these for the grandparents and other family members - they got bound into 8
different books before being given away.)  I believe they were the best set of
books I've made in the 20 years or so I've been doing this because for the first
time I simply mustered the faith to accept a light print when I first view it in
the fix.  Like you, I find that what looks like a washed out highlight at first
will have some detail by the time it goes into the wash, and by the time it
dries will have some real texture.  I had the same experience when I used Kodak
Polycontrast RC papers as well, but haven't tried other papers.  I don't know
why it happens, but have experienced it consistently for many years and so have
assumed it's a characteristic of  the paper.  I haven't used fiber base paper in
years, so don't know if it has the same characteristic.  As I say, I got good
results this year by just disciplining myself to accept a print that seems too
light at first.

Cheers,
Kip