Subject: Re: Re[Leica] All hail Tri-X, Off with TMAX's head!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:00:54 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

> OK, this dry down is another thing I have noticed in my recent return to the
> darkroom.  In fact my prints darken noticeably by the time the wash is done.
> I kept trying to redo my prints when they look too light and ended up
> overdoing it.  I'm using Ilford MGIV RC both warm and cold tone.  I also
> used a package of Luminos and had the same experience.  Didn't like the
> Luminos much.
>
> One print I did tonight had little highlight detail when it hit the fix.  I
> left it alone and after a short fix and wash all the detail was there.  Is
> this just an RC thing?  I've used RC before but never noticed this.  Anybody
> know why this happens?
>
> Mike D

You've got to take the print out of the fix and squeegee it to see the highlight densities.
And especially with fiber you've got to let the fix clear it first 30 to 45
seconds in regular strength fix.
With RC I think it clears in 15 seconds, you've got to take that out and
squeegee that too!
When you place it back in the fix you'll immediately see it wash out again.
Confirming the fact the print can not be judged in the fix.
Mark Rabiner