Subject: Re: [Leica] All hail Tri-X (or is it still top dog?)
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 12:41:25 -0500

Yes I do change times for temperature.  For Tri-x I have been using the
time-temperature chart in Kodak's Xtol PDF file.  Its just that sometimes I
work at 70 and sometimes at 72 or 75.

I presented that as a possible variation, but upon closer inspection I don't
think that's the reason grains seems larger at times.  I'm seeing
differences even between frames on the same roll.  There is a psychological
effect, sharper images seem less grainy, but that is not the whole story.  I
suspect part of the effect may be different VC contrast filtration in
printing; I'll have to keep better records.  Overall negative density seems
to matter too.  The grainier ones may be somewhat overexposed, but still
perfectly printable.  I guess some tests are in order.

Mike D