Subject: [Leica] Re: All hail Tri-X
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:51:16 -0500

> From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] All hail Tri-X

> And to those who feel they need to be rescued by their film,
> I say: learn to expose and process correctly.

> I use Agfa APX 25 mostly; unfortunately tech pan is unavailable here.

Bernard, you're obviously a lot more experienced and talented than I ever
will be, so you'll have to excuse my naivete. But I'm wondering why you'd
ever be using a dinky 35mm camera in the first place. Not only do I love the
way Tri-X looks, but yes, it has rescued me on a number of occasions. Ever
been in a mosh pit at a Ramones concert? Where ya going to use APX 25 there
with natural light? Do you honestly think a tripod is going to be steady in
that circumstance? Have you ever tried shooting perfect exposures in a riot
with pepper spray hitting you? It's actually much harder than you might
imagine, at least it is for those of us less inclined to your rigorous
standards of exposure perfection. For me, the M6 is a *working* camera, not
a boutique item, that receives its bumps in *real* working conditions. With
Tri-X, I can suss out the lighting and push it up as high as 1600 and 3200
if necessary and still get excellent results. As for sharp, fine grain,
tripod shots, if that was my main game I wouldn't be using a 35mm
rangefinder, believe you me. Then again, as I said, I'm naive. Maybe
somebody else, such as yourself, can set me right.
DGF PHOTOGRAPHY
http://home.golden.net/~tekapo