Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on M6 Finish
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 14:35:32 -0800

Kirt E. Carter wrote:

>I am about to purchase an M6, and would appreciate opinions on the
>durability of the black vs. chrome finish on this camera. Aesthetically,
>I am more attracted to the black finish, but am wondering if it holds up
>as well as the chrome, when used with great care ( I am very particular
>regarding the care and use of my equipment - it would not be handled
>roughly). Thank you for your input.>>>>>>

Hi Kurt,

You just asked the 64,000 penny question, as there will be close to that
number saying black and an equal number saying chrome. :)

However, from a working users point of view, I'd go black without question,
simply because human beings being what they are, "little tiny markies"
happen!

Black lasts, shows little and is unobtrusive compared to the bright catch
your eye pretty looking machine everytine you put it to your eye. :)

Besides a black M6 looks like one of those elcheapo P&S cameras to most
non-photo people, where the bright shiny chrome M6 looks like something
special and expensive. Besides do you want "pretty looking?" Or practical?

<<<<<<( I am very particular regarding the care and use of my equipment -
it would not be handled roughly).>>>>>

Naw don't worry about that, the M6 is made to beat the hell out of it
without looking like it. Mine are some 15 years old and look pretty damn
good because  folks have asked, "how long have you had those cameras?" And
are quite surprised to hear the length of time because they still look like
new.

Go black! :)
ted.

Ted Grant