Subject: [Leica] tech pan notes
From: "Gary Klein" <gklein@excel.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:15:25 -0600

While people are discussing tech pan, I think it should be noted that in my
experience, Tech pan is a film that requires the utmost care in exposing and
developing without question.

I used some with my Nikon F3 and my 55mm f2.8 AIS micro nikkor several years
ago,  I ended up enlarging the photograph on my Leitz focomat V35.  I do not
believe there is an enlarger out there other than the Leica which can
properly focus the print to maximize the definition of this film.  The
images I made were enlarged to 11X14 and 16X20 and it was breathtaking.   My
only and only complaint is the relatively high contrast of the film, even
when processed in the suggested chemistry for pictorial use.

If you have dirt in your camera it will show, if you have not used distilled
water in processing it will show.  If you get mirror slap it will show etc.
There is no forgiveness of any kind with this emulsion.  You have to be
twice the technician you think you are in order to make superb images from
it.

gck