Subject: [Leica] re: tech pan notes
From: "Gary Klein" <gklein@excel.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:01:10 -0600

Bob

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Did you see one word that said anything about the autofocus aspect of the
enlarger?  I think that once a V35 is scoped in, it is very good.  And yes
it is maddening to get it scoped in correctly.  I know from experience the
older Leica Enlargers were more difficult to get the autofocus system to
work well.  If you really took your time and were very precise from top to
bottom it would work well.  As a matter of fact, I use a machinist ruler to
check the height of the easel for measurements with the V35 when setting it
up (moving will get you very adept at this).

My main focus was that in order to extract the highest quality from the slow
emulsions such as tech pan, you have to one up your technique to the next
level in my opinion.  I think it is a viable emulsion for certain
situations.  I certainly wouldn't class this film as multi-purpose

The Leica's enlarger lines main virtue was how precisely it was made in the
first place.  Leica took great pains to make a precise unit that will give
you corner to corner grain sharpness with excellent illumination.  That is
truly the thrust of my statements.   Its not just the V35.  I have used a 1c
and 11c Leitz enlargers and know how superb the older members of the line
are.

Have you ever printed 35mm with a lesser enlarger such as the Omega line,
the Beseler line?  I didn't get the same feel of precision workmanship that
I see and get on paper with my V35.  Once I got my V35 some 18 years ago, I
printed a negative that I printed earlier to the best of my ability with my
freshly sold Beseler 67c and its 50mm f4 EL Nikkor enlarging lens.  It was
breathtaking how much sharper the V35 unit it was in comparison.  It was
breathtaking to me to see edge to edge sharpness that made printing so much
more enjoyable.

I use the Leitz 40mm f2.8 with mine and yes it is at its peak at f5.6 as
Leica said in its brochures at the time of purchase.  I see from your notes
you use an EL Nikkor with yours.  If you are using an older EL Nikkor, the
newer one is a tad better.  I have used the newer style one (have one like
new , 50mm f2.8,in the box which I no longer use and should probably sell).

Best Regards,

gck