Subject: [Leica] Pro or no
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 02:34:12 -0500

Les asked an interesting question about photography, one that probably crops up
in the minds of people every now and then: Should I turn pro and try to do this
for a living?

The responses so far have been pretty similar: (a) it's a lot of hard work,
(b) it's nothing like the public/media image presents, and (c) I wouldn't be
caught dead doing anything else.

I'm very much an amateur photographer, and I would never dream of becoming a pro.
Why?  Because the second I have to start doing something because someone else
wants me to, the enjoyment disappears.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of
photography, simply because I know that I have to answer to no one else but my
own whims (no, not even a "her indoors" counting the value of my cameras ;)

I am not a beleiver of the old saying: get paid for doing what you do anyway.
It doesn't happen.  You'll get paid for doing, not what you are already doing,
but for doing other things.

So, you pros, doesn't this bother you?  How do you keep things fun and
interesting?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar CSEL, OSU        |     What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |