Subject: [Leica] Going Pro
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:26:28 -0400

I may be in a unique position to speak about going pro as a career, not
because I am earning my living as a photographer but because I am the
Publisher/Editor/Owner of a monthly trade magazine for the professional
film/video industry and have been so for almost 20 years now. In my position
I work with people on both sides of the camera in many different genres; TV
commercials, features, documentaries, corporate, government, etc. etc. Still
photography would be applicable to all the same genres. So I think that I am
in a position to see who makes it and who does'nt, so, I will try to apply
the same advice to still photographers that I routinely give to budding
cinematographers trying to break into the business. First; It is a
glamourous business that pays well where there is much competition for work.
Second; Now that you have that degree from a film school don't plan on
starting at the top, in fact, you will probably be better off starting at
the bottom as a production assistant and serving an old fashioned
apprenticeship and work your way to the top. Third; One of the problems that
you will face is getting a client to hire you, especially when they already
have a stable of freelance DP's with a track record. So, by being on the set
even as a production assistant (PA) you will meet many potential clients and
maybe they will even ask you to get them a cup of coffee. Just being there
and getting known and expressing your intentions is how you work your way up
the ladder. Fourth; Try to hook your star to somebody who has already made
it. Fifth; When not working be constantly on the telephone drumming up
business. Network, network, network. Sixth; Read the daily business press
and trade magazines religiously. Seventh; Make no enemies. Eigth; Do not buy
ANY equipment because whatever you own will probably be wrong for the job
you are hired for--Renting equipment is better. Ninth; The biggest key to
success is showing up.
I have given this advise to hundreds of people and a few have made it to the
top, most have'nt. There are many, many factors at play in a business like
this but if you really want it and you have the talent, marketing skills and
luck you can make it. Good luck.

By the way, I am the one who gives assignments to still photographers for my
magazine if I don't shoot it myself.
Steve
Annapolis
www.icommag.com