Subject: [Leica] RE: Tripod no myth
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 18:50:18 -0800

I love the self proclaimed expert. It doesn't take much research to see
that the high level tripod industry has PROVEN that this is NOT a myth. For
instance, go to  http://www.ocon.com/brochure/b-08.gif  and check out
OConnor camera supports (tripods.) These are the multi-thousand dollar
professional TV camera, IMAX camera, etc, tripods. They make BOTH aluminum
and carbon tripods. They state, and I quote, "Carbon fiber is three times
stronger and four times lighter than aluminum. It doesn't rust or corrode,
is thermally stable, and has SUPERIOR DAMPENING CHARACTERISTICS."

Ilford, in an article referenced by Erwin Puts, stated that either a wooden
or carbon (I don't remember which they said) was superior in dampening
camera vibrations. It was NOT a metal tripod.

It does not take very many synapses to cogitate the reason for this
pheromone, that a wood or carbon fiber tripod will dampen vibrations far
quicker than a metal tripod.

Metal vibrates at a resonant frequency (based upon many factors, density,
length, etc.) and continues to vibrate for an extended period of time. Wood
and carbon fiber are self dampening. In a nut shell, their molecular
structure prohibits "ringing" (continued vibrations) and therefore, as most
tripod manufacturers know, have a tendency to kill camera vibrations that
resonate through metal tripods.

Used any good wooden or carbon fiber tuning forks lately? How about a
wooden glockenspiel?

Jim