Subject: [Leica] 6x9cm folder : thanks and result
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:51:04 +0100

Thanks to everybody who advised me, on and off list. I went to the flea
market (in Hamburg, Germany) this morning just around opening time, but
there was not much in the way of folders. One stall holder told me he
regularly sells  Bessas by the dozen to a guy in Arizona, who then resells
some to Japan. Still, there were two Bessas, one with a Skopar 3.5/10,5cm
(I guess it is a prewar model a most people have been talking about
Color-Skopars) and a Compur that goes to 1/400 sec. It  had a quaint green
filter on a hinge in front of the lens, and all optical surfaces were very
clean, as was the folder itself. Asking price was $ 125, but after we had
folded it together we could not get it open again. I offered $50 and I am
now the proud owner. Particularly proud because I have fixed the
opening/closing mechanism and it opens and closes very nicely. However the
shutter does not work, and I am not sure I can fix it myself. Any tips on
how to open the thing? Any other advice also gratefully accepted, like
should I only fold it with distance set to infinity? what is the little
knob on the top for (changing viewfinder to 6x6  - the camera has two red
windows on the back for the film numbers so it is obviously intended for
6y6 as well)?  and why does it have two rangefinder windows on the back,
(three on the front, but thats because of the coupled rangefinder)?

I also got five old books for $ 7,50: Beutler's 1961 book on darkroom work,
an East German (communist era) book on artificial light, a pre-war book on
nude photography by an Austrian doctor, a 1928 pocket manual for the
amateur photograper (had sold 720 thousand copies) and a recent book on the
Zone System with a type of round slide rule calculator. I also got some
half price Technical Pan, so  this is to warn you, there will be some test
result with  developers other than Xtol coming up some time.