Subject: [Leica] Re: Bessa R effective rangefinder base comparo
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 12:00:50 +0800

On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 16:53:27 -0800
>Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net> wrote
>Subject: [Leica] Cosina/Voigtlander Bessa-R
>According to my sources in Japan, Cosina will announce its Bessa-R
>rangefinder body later next week.
>Its specs are as follows
>Mechanically controlled vertically-travelling leaf focal plane shutter,
>speeds B, 1 - 1/2000
>Leica screw mount
>Rangefinder magnification 0.7x, rangefinder base about 30mm.  Effective
>base 21mm (arrrgh!)
>Parallax-corrected selectable frame lines for 35/90mm, 50mm and 75mm
>lenses.
>TTL exposure meter, LED displays in the viewfinder.
>http://www.cameraguild.co.jp/retinahouse/nikki/000108nikki002.JPG
>http://www.cameraguild.co.jp/retinahouse/nikki/000108nikki003.JPG
>The retail price is projected to be 69,800 JPY or approximately 680 USD.
>Ken Iisaka kiisaka@pacbell.net
>Lost in Mill Valley in Marin County, California
>------------------------------
Dear Ken,
"The CLE's rangefinder base length was increased markedly up to 49.6 mm
from the CL's 31.5mm. This combined with its magnification of .58X yielded
an effective base length of 28.9 or 68 per cent greater than the CL's
rangefinder". Quote from Page 117 Modern Photography June 1981.
Seems the Bessa R effective rangefinder base length at 21 will be better
than a CL but not as good as a CLE - which I have used with a Leica 90mm
Elmarit 2.8 with little focussing problems. Depends, also I guess, on the
accuracy and clarity of the finder and the rangefinder patch. I think
Cosina is producing a very interesting set of equipment. I can see
aficiondos of LTM lenses and rangefinder cameras setting out with a Bessa L
and the Heliar and Skopar as well as the Bessa R with the 35 / 50 and 75
focussing LTM lenses. I am looking forward to getting my R and trying it.
Do you know if it has TTL flash? I presume 1/125 flash sync?
Best Regards
Howard Cummer.