Subject: [Leica] Re: Happy New Year from Hong Kong
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:22:09 +0800

Hello Luggers,
On TV here in Hong Kong New Zealand has just passed into 2000. Out our
balcony the Cheung Kong building is proclaiming in electric lights forty
stories high "5 Hours to 2000" - we are getting ready for dinner and I have
film in my M6HM TTL with the 24 Asph on it as well as film in a Rolleiwide
and a Nikon 90 in anticipation of the fireworks to come. The tripods are
already on the balcony! We are staying in as a family tonight until
midnight and then the older kids (23 and 20) are going out to Lan Kwai
Feng, the bar area in Central, just down from where we live, for an
invitation party (they had to buy tickets). The younger girls (14 and 16)
are staying in with us. Yesterday at the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank the line
ups were very long as people updated their account balances, and today the
supermarket was busier earlier than usual - we laid in HK$1,500 ( just
under US$200) worth of groceries - filling the back of the Volvo wagon. I
got the last three sets of C batteries for our flashlights. I went by the
office to check the faxes and emails and was surprised to discover a big
garbage can full of water in the washroom as a precaution, I guess, against
a failure in the water supply over the next few days. We won't be going
anywhere for 15 minutes before midnight until 15 after as the elevators are
going to be shut off and walking downstairs 35 floors seems a chore! A
Happy New Year to all Luggers - may Leica prosper along with the rest of us
- - and may many new products arrive to tempt us.
HNY
Howard Cummer.
Cheers