Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Eclairs, was Tripod myth
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 10:21:10 -0500

Hey Malcom:

I thought I was the only other Lugger with an Eclair NPR besides Steve.
It's my employer's.  It was bought in 1975 to replace one that was
originally purchased around 1967.  That one replaced a Maurer 05.  Talk
about antiques!  I inherited the NPR in 1979.  Shot lots of film with that
baby.  Probably needs a CLA now.

We don't shoot much film these days, mostly video.  Our current
cinematographer (I'm management now) doesn't care for the NPR much.

As I told Steve, we used an O'Connor 100 tripod (an old heavy one; they're
lighter now) and I got many a bruised finger from that.  We switched to an
O'Connor 50 and liked that a whole lot better.  That one always seemed
pretty light for the NPR since that camera's top-heavy.  They both had
wooden legs.  We now use Schatlers with aluminun legs.  They seem to work
fine even with a high-speed Arri SR.  Of course for the price of one of
those you could buy an M6 with a Noctilux.

If we get anymore NPR users we better form our own group!

Mike D