Subject: Re: [Leica] tabletop tripod
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:56:45 EST

In a message dated 1/9/00 11:55:29 AM, jborden@mediaone.net writes:

<<  I got a Leica tabletop tripod thinking that I would use it (why else :-))

but I use it less than my Visoflex setup! It is so nice and compact that I

keep it in my Domke bag but so far it just adds weight. I've just never had

the right opportunity to take a photo from tabletop height. Am I doing

something wrong? >>

I "inherited" a Leitz tabletop tripod with my job. I don't carry it in my bag
that often but there are two occasions I use it a lot.

One: I cover board of directors meetings at my office, shooting in a large
room with flourescent light using 100 asa slide film and a CC30M filter. I'll
sit at a desk (there are 40 of them in the room) and shoot across the room
with the 180 and a (shudder) Nikon mounted on the Leitz tripod (there, OLC)
at 1/15 or so. It works great. Sometimes I'll just prop it against a side
wall.

Every other year I accompany 70 high school kids on a tour of Washington,
D.C. and shoot pictures as well as chaperone. I have to travel light. I take
the tabletop tripod. I find it very handy in museums and monuments. Again,
sometimes I'll just push it against a side wall. I've even shot 1/2 second
exposures this way.

Bob (would like to buy his own tabletop tripod and large ball head if the
price were right) McEowen