Subject: Re: [Leica] Is an M6 with 50mm the right tool for me?
From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:02:58 -0800

Hello Matt:

I suggest that you look at the collapsable 90mm for a second or third lens
if physical length and weight are a concern.   I traveled with mine for the
first time this last summer and found the convenience of its fitting in the
case when collapsed was a great help.

I recently acquired a resolution chart from Edmund Optical for lens testing.
It measures 2' by 3' with all manner of parallel lines.

I tested the 90mm collapsable, 90mm Elmarit f2.8 and the 85mm Jupiter.  The
were very close in 8" X 10" enlargements.  I was enlarging the  full chart
and had a problem with uneven lighting.   Accordingly, my tests were not
fully reliable.

I plan to conduct the tests again with better lighting and enlarge edge
sections to a much greater degree.

Here is my initial ranking at various openings:

Collapsable                            90mm
85mm
                                   f-stop
Elmar                              Elmarit
Jupiter
                                     4.0
1                           not tested
2
                                     5.6
3                                     1
2
                                     8.0
2                                     3
1
                                   11.0
3                                     1
2

Due to the uneven lighting and the fact that I did not enlarge portions of
the negative, I feel that my test was not adequate to distinguish between
the lenses with reliability.   Even though I judged and ranked them, they
were so close that I would select either of the three with confidence that
I would achieve good results.

I will use my collapsable when I travel or want the lens within a closed
case.

Roland Smith