Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen M6, Saigon
From: "Claes-Göran Bjernér" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:44:40 +0100

J D Perkins wrote:

> If anyone in the region of South-East Asia comes across a black M6 (sn.
> 2414624) quite beaten-up, with the name "PERKINS" scratched on the
> baseplate, along with a 50mm f1.4 lens (sn. 3773359), please note that
> they stolen from me in Saigon on 9.1.00. Any information as to their
> whereabouts whould be gratefully recieved.
>
> Thank you.

J D,
I´m sure we all share your sense of loss! And hopefully your beautiful M6
and lens one day will show up again. Ask Ted, he knows that this kind of
miracle can indeed happen.

Personally I have fond memories of how I once in Saigon was offered a black
Leica with a 50mm Summilux for US$50!! Too good to be true? Well, of course
that camera had been stolen, but Saigon was rapidly falling apart and I had
a plane to catch. And the Chinese shop keeper who gave me the nice offer was
also hoping to leave Vietnam together with his entire family. However, he
was a few hundred dollars short for the air plane tickets!

What do you do in a situation like that? Stick to fancy luxurious principles
or do you listen to that greedy voice in the back of your head? Well,
whatever, that particular Leica M3 has now served me very well for almost 25
years!

If your own M6 is never returned to you I hope it will give you some comfort
knowing that one day it might end up in the hands of somebody as
appreciative, loving and caring as myself. But don´t worry, J D, if the body
and lens numbers correspond to the ones above, I will certainly let you
know.

Claes