Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Eclairs, was Tripod myth
From: "Claes-Göran Bjernér" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 19:53:13 +0100

The Eclair NPR always had a bad reputation during the Vietnam war. As the
anecdote says the very first cameraman (a Frenchman), who showed up in
Vietnam with his brand new NPR was shot on his very first patrol with the
troops. Following the general rule he was dressed like the soldiers in
"jungle green". But his new modern camera did not look like a camera. The
Eclair NPR with its long extended body, coaxial film magazine plus an
extremely long tele-lens with an extremely wide "big caliber" lens shade in
front must rather haver looked like an intimidating weapon to the Vietcong
sniper. And the French photographer´s battery belt did in no way improve his
civilian look. As the story goes only one person -the Frenchman - was killed
during that particular patrol.

True or not, the immediate effect of that story was that most of us news
cameramen desperately tried to look more civilian during the time we spent
with the troops. And some camera makers like General Camera and Auricon
began to offer their products in new colors like light blue, red and  -
believe it or not - PINK. I myself worked with a grey CP-16 that still
looked like an old fashion camera with its characteristic "Micky Mouse" film
magazine.

In a later war - Bosnia - the situation became the reverse. There the
snipers first went for the cameramen. So finally our cameras became
recognized for the powerful weapons they truely are.

Claes