Subject: [Leica] SEC: UNCLASSIFIED Non Rom converter use on R8
From: "Dykstra, Rick" <Rick.Dykstra@cbr.defence.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:32:33 +1100

Richard Savenije and I were discussing using 2X converters on the R8.

I tested my non ROM APO converter with an R8, with both ROM and non ROM
lenses and the results are:

It works as expected in manual mode but there is no display of aperture in
the viewfinder.

Same again in aperture priority mode.

When the dial is set to program or shutter priority modes, the R8 works as
if in aperture priority mode, but again, no display of the aperture.  The
'P' and 'T' symbols do not flash, as they would without the converter if the
aperture ring is not set to the smallest aperture setting.

BUT, in any mode, if I turn the aperture ring that little bit beyond the
widest available aperture, then the display does show an aperture, one that
my lens didn't have, and the camera meters for that aperture!.  In my test
with a 50/2, I turned the ring towards where f1.4 would be, and up came 1.4
in the viewfinder.  Wow!  And the P and T would start blinking.  Weird.  So
now I can pretend that I have a 50 Summilux, when in fact the camera is
actually loaded with a 50/2 and operating through a converter at f4.

Is this unique or typical?

Regards

Rick Dykstra