Subject: [Leica] Let him eat crow....
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:54:46 -0500

Mike Johnston wrote:

I'm saying, no it doesn't. You cannot tell. There is
no difference between a photograph taken on sturdy wooden tripods and
photographs taken on sturdy metal ones. None at all. It depends on other
things, like the technique you use, ground vibrations, vibrations from
within the camera, etc., MAYBE; but a sturdy tripod is a sturdy tripod,
and the idea that a material that allegedly "absorbs vibrations" better
makes for better pictures is a myth.

Actually, though, I'm all set to run some experiments. I've gotten
myself a laser pointer, and I have a sturdy Gitzo Studex, a lighter
Manfrotto, and a fine wooden Ries. I should get to it this weekend. Stay
tuned. Who knows, you may get to see me eat some serious crow. <s>

- - --Mike

That is probably true with a view camera unless there is wind..... since a
copal shutter doesn't exactly move a lot during the exposure...

While what you stated should be true in theory... Sturdy to mean the camera
on the tripod doesn't move.... Practice is a different animal...

My suggestion is to use a Hasselblad 500 CM with a 150 or 250mm... at 1/30
or 1/60th, some using mirror lockup but some not...  I used that with
several different heavy Bogen tripods using cable releases... I'm convinced
that tripods do make a difference in sharpness...  I eventually sold it and
used the money to buy Leica....   I found that for the majority of short to
medium telephoto work....the results from my 35mm equipment was overall
superior to the Hasselblad....

Either way....   How do you like your crow prepared????

Duane Birkey
Quito Ecuador

http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.com