Subject: Re: [Leica] Can of worms?
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:53:41 -0700

Arthur Leyenberger wrote:

> Not to open a can of worms here, and maybe this
> question has already been addressed in the past, but
> I'm curious why the M6 does not have engraved top
> plate as standard issue.

Just a guess, but I think it has to do with the fact that zinc top
covers need a good protective plating lest they oxidize from below, and
you have a blistering, flaking mess on your hands. It's probably tough
to do the fine script properly under those circumstances, though if you
change to a brass cover the the problem mostly goes away. Hasselblads
have the same sort of problem. I notice that the upcoming LHSA M6 is
engraved brass.

- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado