Subject: [Leica] to flash or not to flash and more existential topics
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:54:45 +0100

Mike's gauntlet states as rules among others:
"All films and developers identified, all made with the  same paper,
paper developer, enlarger, and enlarging lens. Camera lens  apertures
used will be identified. "
Well I admire Mike's stamina in trying to prove that there are at
least a thousand angles that can stand on the head of a pin (see also
Leica built quality), but his gauntlet test is so flawed as to be
useless. First of all hie entry criteria: "All good negatives, all
sharp, all big enlargements, all showing fine technique", are all
beyond objective validation and comparison., so whatever negative
passes his test will be a personal judgement, which might be
acceptable, but without any measurable and identifiable criteria we
are left with a very shaky base, on which to draw any conclusion
would be unreliable if not outright wrong.
More importantly as nor the lighting conditions, nor the subject
matter nor the distance at which to take photographs, nor the film
and development variables are fixed or at the least comparable, we
are left drawing conclusions from evidence that is so diverse in all
of its important parameters that any conclusion may be drawn and we
may be certain that any conclusion is irrelevant. (as seven of Nine
would note correctly).
The flash or not to flash discussion is the same as to use a tripod
or not when discussing "proper" Leica technique. The fact that many
important Leica pictures have been taken without flash does not imply
that ALL Leica pictures will have to be made without flash and that a
good Leica picture must always be flash-less. Let us be a bit less
prescriptive here: Leica pictures in my view are just pictures taken
with a Leica camera whatever the flash or tripod. In another category
we have good pictures. Simple algebra will tell you that we have two
sets (one of pictures taken with a Leica camera and one of good
pictures). The intersection of both sets gives you the subset of good
Leica pictures. That is all there is to say about it.   Why are some
people so stubborn in declaring that the subset of good Leica
pictures has to be intersected with some other set of pictures taken
without flash or tripod. Now Leica prides itself on the performance
of its lenses wide open. So I will declare a new definition of good
or correct Leica pictures: those pictures taken with a Leica camera
and a Leica lens (of course!) at apertures wider than f/2.8. See how
ridiculous this all is.
Is the M4 better built than the M6. Again without any statistical and
reliable evidence we cannot answer this question which is  anyhow
rhetorical without a definition of "better built". Citing anonymous
sources who all agree that the M4 is "better built", and not giving
any hard evidence to support this claim is a technique as old as the
classical Romans used to topple a senator from the senate: spread a
rumor, give it some credentials by referring to important and
reliable sources and then let the human imagination run its obvious
and inevitable course.
The topic of spare parts for the non TTL electronic circuits. As long
as we do not know exactly what is the actual difference between the
two sets of electronics, we  do not know for sure if a replacement or
repair is possible. I do know that German law stipulates that for
every product that is discontinued the manufacturer needs to hold
spares to repair the product for a period of 10 years after
discontinuing it. So I do assume that Leica has assured enough parts
or at least repair strategies to support older camera models.

Erwin