Subject: [Leica] Mr Gandy's comments
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:17:05 +0100

Mr Gandy made some interesting twists of reasoning that makes it
required reading for any politician  who would like to run for
president.

Mr Gandy states as a personal inference from my writings:" IF you
want accurate test results to see what YOUR lenses will do, you have
to test them yourself."
I did not claim this and none of my remarks can be used to support
this claim. I did say: testing should be done under identical
circumstances and results should be compared according to objectified
evaluation criteria beforehand. Mr Gandy' s logic that accuracy is
secured when you do your own testing is a fine example of implied
self justification.

Mr Gandy also noted: "Which of course means higher Leica sales and
more mint used
Leica equipment on the market.  Keep those tests coming Erwin, they help
make new and used camera stores a lot of money."

Glad to support your business Stephen. And free of charge too!

Mr Gandy notes too: " It doesn't matter that
you only seem to value the results of your own tests, which is a subtle
way of saying people should do their own lens tests and  not bother with
yours."

How true, Stephen. Well in fact I am always encouraging people to
draw their own conclusions. If you do not like my tests, be my guest.

Mr Gandy notes : "As far as the M4 quality question, you seem to have
a very curiously bad
memory.   As was discussed in the LUG only a few months ago,  Leica made
a change in the M rangefinder about halfway through production of the
M4-2.  The new  viewfinder has  less parts, and a new tendency to flare
under some light conditions, making the 2nd RF image difficult if not
impossible to see."

My memory is quite good, thank you for your interest,  but I
sometimes choose to ignore some  statements to comment upon. But you
make an interesting addition: "better built"  for you at least
implies: more parts and less flare under some conditions. We can use
this as a working hypothesis for the quality issue. Much obliged to
you for  this clarification.

Erwin