Subject: [Leica] why read a book or article?
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 00:21:31 +0100

Mr Gandy, in one of his most perceptive statements ever, observed
that my writings would only prove the obvious and that is that "the
newer design Leica lenses are almost always better than the older
designs". Now this indeed is a view on industrial progress that has
escaped almost every observer in the photographic scene and to cast
the view  a bit wider I doubt if anyone in the world has observed
this.  Cars and motorcycles, tv-sets, mobile phones, computers,
bridges, roads, trucks, almost every industrial product that is on
sale now is vastly improved  when compared to its predecessors. Some
may not have noted it, but even Canon and Nikon and Hasselblad and
Zeiss and Schneider and Rodenstock and Mamiya and Bronica lenses have
improved.  Mr Gandy states that documenting the obvious, that is that
current products are improved versus previous generations, is a
futile exercise. He at least knows this already and reading about it
is a waste of time and only worth of consideration if no other
pressing matters are at hand. So in his view we do not have to read
any magazine that only notes the obvious. So do not read Cycle,
because it will tell you that current Harley Davidsons are better
than older ones, throw away your Car and Driver issues as they just
tell you that new cars are improved versions of older ones. Why read
any article or book that will tell you that we are in a state of
evolution as Darwin already noted that only the fittest will survive
and that is the best definition of "better".
Why read at all? If you already have made up your mind,  and this is
an individual act of supreme importance, reading can do two things
for you: support what you already know and than it  is a waste of
time as it is redundant information or challenge what you think and
that again is a waste of time as you made up your mind already and
then it is useless information. So in any case as soon as you know
what you know you can stop reading and what you know can be
summarized quite easily: the world is in a state of progress to
perfection and therefore new Leica lenses are better than older ones
and as a corrollary: dealers of second hand Leica lenses will thrive
as users of Leica lenses will insist in buying older lenses as these
are less good than newer ones.

Erwin