Subject: [Leica] Re: Mike and Erwin
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:49:49 -0500

> << If Mike says he can't tell the difference, an experienced editor of a major
>  photo magazine, I certainly don't expect I will be able to tell the
>  difference either.
>
> Of course you can, if the the test is set up correctly.
>
> Bob Figlio

I agree with you, Bob, on several issues that you raised.  I have been able to pick out a Leica photo on several occasions and even over the internet with it's dimming down of resolution and subtlety.  The test must obviously be set up correctly.  I have faith that the Leica print
or slide will be detectable in most instances over a Nikon or Minolta print or slide. I would have more confidence if duplicate photos of a subject were taken with the Leica and only two other cameras to keep variables to a reasonable level.  The last 5% of performance always costs
50% more.  I cannot say that this expenditure is wise or even sensible but for me there really is no choice as I passionately enjoy owning and using the best that can be made by human hands.  Leica lenses at full aperture have no equal in my judgment.  BTW, I have enjoyed high end
audio for over twelve years and as you note the issues in that field make Leica lens testing appear straight forward.

I missed the post regarding Mike throwing down the gauntlet to Erwin. Perhaps someone can summarize or repost it for me by private email.

Paul