Subject: RE: [Leica] Uh...was that a yes or a no?
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:03:15 -0500

Which lenses are you using exactly?

My guess is that if the pictures have sufficient detail, say tack sharp tree
branches etc. that lenses with significantly different MTFs will have
demonstrably different photos ASSUMING you use Delta/Tmax 100 or sharper
film. If you use Tri-X I think it will be hard to tell the lenses apart
unless there are *very* gross differences in the high frequency parts of the
MTF. The lenses should have equal max aperatures and be used wide open (e.g.
compare all 35/1.4-5 lenses or all 50/1.4-5).

Fancy way of saying that you can certainly tell the difference between some
lenses, especially older lenses, but many new lenses from top manufactorers
will be very similar.

Jonathan Borden