Subject: RE: [Leica] optical testing
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 19:17:30 -0500

Erwin Puts wrote:

> Ask any optical designer about the possibilities and intricacies of
> comparing lenses, they will wring their hands in utter distress and
> propose that we should eat lunch first. ...

NO! You are keeping the utility of the MTF and other measurements under
covers. Those of us who have had considerable experience in digital optical
processing (see Science 1989;619:1181) understand the relationship between
the effects on frequency encoded information and the projection of a 3D
world onto a piece of film. This is a highly technical subject and beyond
what we would expect of an average person or even a highly trained
photographer. I would expect this to be within the understanding of an
accomplished modern optical designer.

To summarize:

The behavior of a lens imaging ANY 3D world is exactly prediced by the
behavior of the lens on a suitable two dimensional test pattern. This
behavior is mathematically expressed as a set of (frequency,amplitude and
phase) encodings. This information can be used by a high speed computer to
demonstrate the characteristics of any lens so measured given a digitized
world. This process is called a "deconvolution". I have personally used such
techniques to digitally *remove* optical aberrations from Leitz
photomicroscope derived images and resolve details at the sub micron level.

On the other hand I would judge it impossible to completely predict the
behavior of a particular lens on  a given 3D world based upon the behavior
of such a lens on another randomly chosen world.

That is why the designers at Solms or for that matter the Midlands sit
behind computer workstations and are rarely seen frolicing around the
surrounding countryside snapping pictures during working hours :-)

Jonathan Borden