Subject: Re: [Leica] Test by proxy
From: "Eno" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:27:47 -0500

<SNIP>
>>>>...And I was happy with my old Summaron
35mm except at f3.5 it seemed a mite slow, but, with excellent results from
16x20 blowups, but still ... so I went out and spent alot of money on a new
Summilux 35 f1.4. And except for the larger aperture hard to see much
difference. So what's the point? Well I have been a photographer for 30
years all with Nikons and have had over 1,000 photos published; I have shot
Goldie Hawn, Gregory Peck, Burt Reynolds,>>>

BURT REYNOLDS!!

even President George Bush in the oval office. I could go on. All of these
years, believe it or not, I just went out and took pictures. And guess what?
I NEVER read ANY photo magazines.>>>>

Me too.  I mean neither have I.  Then I learn something and my pictures get
worse.  The rule of thirds...Is that what one should have in mind while
shooting?  That's too bad -  you mean it gets more complex?  All my stuff
was rule of thirds then I learned about it and my composition just isn't the
same. It all goes that way.

MYSTIQUE. Such enthusiam. I had to find out everything about them I started
to buy books, I searched the web, I joined the LUG and LEG. I took many
pictures with the Leicas and compared them with thousands of Nikor
pictures.....hmmm....must be these old Leica lenses 'cause I cant see much
difference. Then, it became, must be I need some new Leica lenses. Now it
has become.... maybe I will go back to blissfully taking pictures without
reading all this stuff because I cannot possibly keep up with it all.<<>>>>

It's the users not the leica stuff.  So the coma is better or worse (!?).
Or the corners.  I read em and I use them for decisions, etc.  Why?  Well
what should I do!  If I find the images are excellent - that the quality
(that I see or whatever...) is superior and I like the lens in all respects
(the price is the best) and Mr. X says it's done wonders on the bench that
just makes me happier (or more commonly the opposite).  As some have
recently pointed out in various ways, the tests and user reports are NOT the
same.  But I don't think anyone thinks they are incompatible, or that those
who are 'testing' don't usually NOT consider this if you show them one of
you're nice photos.  Later, but everyone's compatible in the real world of
opinions in terms of justification of artistic form. How many have evidence
that the reports on the new 24 are 'useless'.  Easier to prove the opposite.
And if only a dummy would rely on  tests, be a dummy!  One who doubts
everything will just doubt the truth as well.  Instead of invalidating the
method altogether, prove that the 35 asph, 24 asph are not really that good
afterall.  You must play by the same rules and same terms or you are
challenging methods  not the argument on it's own terms.  And if you can't
well mix and match and you'll have nice lenses.
This is of course NOT advice as I am not in any sort of a position to
'advise' anyone.  Maybe that's not good I don't know.