Subject: [Leica] was: Sex & lens-test, now: Leica lens test prints
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:39:31 -0800

Mike wrote:

<<<<A fine lens is a pleasure. Certainly, one of the best ways of assuring
oneself of the pleasures of quality is to buy from the best and most
reputable companies.>>>>>

Mike,

Up until I joined this magnificent gang of Leica crazies, I had never given
a single thought to testing a lens I bought during a period of close to 45
years.

If it was the fastest possible, it was bought! If it was Leica it had to be
great, simply because Leica was the best, was it not?

I bought it because it was Leica and Leica was the best, always believed
that, still do. But since becoming a LUGNUT there is a kind of "loosing my
innocents" in relation to lenses, cameras and in some cases photography.

Technical aspects have enlightened me, yet I'm always amazed at how much
time people must spend "making tests" on things, that the likes of a
skilled Erwin Puts have already spent multi multi hours, nay, days and
weeks,testing in a highly technical manner to give the ultimate of
information regarding the lens.

Compared to the roll or two shot in the "at home test range" of a buyer who
figures he must find out for himself if it is good or not.

The never ending challenges of one lens over another, the crispness, lines
per mm and all the other technical things that:

A. I never gave a thought to, I just wanted to take pictures. Isn't that
why we
   have cameras?  Surely it isn't to test and test over and over ad nauseum.

B. It seemed useless information, as it was on some kind of test bench and
I've
   never seen a great award winning photo from a test bench yet.

C. The confrontations over minuscule nonentity items of no reality compared
   getting your ass down on the ground and shooting, instead of playing
numbers
   games.

D. If a Leica gives people a problem, I suggest they stop whining and
trying to
   test, prove etc their whine away and go buy another make. I mean, isn't
it
   reasonable if  you are having appeared problems with a piece of equipment,
   why would you continue to whine and using it?

So even though I originally backed away from trying your "print test" I'm
ready to give it a go. After all, we can't throw away nearly 50 years photo
experience when there is an opportunity to prove something pertaining to
Leica exposed pictures. Now can we? :)

Send 'em along Michael and I'll take on the lion's task!

ted

(damn another test, how could I be so stupid?) :):) Time for a Lagavullin!:)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant