Subject: Re: [Leica] Winter and dark out
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:33:59 -0800

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Greg (and other bad-weather shooters),
>
> I too love the photographs taken in bad weather. But since I am not independently
> wealthy, and I do not have someone else paying for my equipment, I am reluctant to
> expose my Leicas (or other cameras for that matter) to the elements in the way
> described. What do people do?
>
> Nathan
>
> Greg Locke wrote:
>
> >          Oh, come on, Mike!  2PM yesterday I was getting AT LEAST 60th @
> > 2.8 with Fujichrome 100..... in freezing rain.  I had to scrape the ice off
> > the lens between photos.
><Snip>

My wife and I were out shooting at Cannon Beach Yesterday where the winds were
the strongest in the windstorm weather event which hit the NW of the US.
115 Miles per hour sand and foam blast on the Leica M's and lenes as well as on us!
We and our cameras performed flawlessly and did not blow away. The German
Shepard did not get too much sand in his eyes and had a ball. (He is quite
photogenic!) No power for much of the time I also got caught up on some reading.
Quite a little three day weekend vacation! Today I'm 49! Been a Leica M6 shooter
for 1/7 of my life!
The camera's and lenes are cleaned off now we are back, went through half a
bottle of compressed air.
And to think I was not going to pull the cameras out if there was a breeze on
the sand!
A second body gives one guts!
Mark (older and braver and getting better shots) Rabiner