Subject: [Leica] So much BS
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:19:51 +0000

>>>Sorry, Mike, but that is so much BS.  By quoting "unquotable"
sources, you set yourself up to automatically win, as your sources are
beyond
confirmation or refutation.  It's not fair and it's not tolerable in
honest
disputation<<<

Heh heh. Nice try. As I said to you privately, tell that to Woodward and
Bernstein!

I call people as a journalist. (This isn't ego. I'm a magazine editor.
People want to know if they're talking to me as an individual, or
because I'm doing research for an article.) I ask them if the
conversation is on the record (attributable quotes) or off the record
(unattributed content only). If they say "off the record," I'm not
goingto go blathering their names on the internet just to win an
argument with you.

This is _perfectly_ SOP for any journalist, and anybody who's even taken
a Journalism 101 course will tell you. But nice try!

- --Mike