Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:10:30 EST

This discussion recalls to me my first "Quality is Free"seminar, put on by
one of our customers many, many years ago. They had bought in to a "new"
quality guru, Philip Crosby. In these days of ISO 9002 and beyond, it seems
like baby stuff now.
Our ideas of quality have changed dramatically over the past 20 years. To
some LUGers it is frequency, or necessity of repair, to some it is esthetics
or feel, to some its lines on a lens chart, to others it is that "je ne sais
quoi" of a Leica lens.

Today in manufacturing, it is inconceivable that you would "inspect quality
in". (or adjust it in with wooden hammers) You design quality in. The design
evolves so that the elements that contribute to poor quality are eliminated.

I cannot speak for Leica, having never sold them any of my material, but I do
export about 10% of our product to Germany. Companies everywhere are focusing
on what they do best (their core competencies) and selecting from among
vendors the best to supply components. Don't be shocked, this is Y2K.

We can argue about whether I should choose another 30 year old used M5 or an
M6, for my second meter body. That is valuable. We all learn a little. We can
even call in the craftsman and women of the repair world for their opinion.
But don't be surprised if the best of them prefer the old, craft built over
the new.

I think I just made my decision. Does anyone have a used M6 they want to sell?

Bruce Bowman
Killingworth CT