Subject: [Leica] Hello to all!
From: Bill Carson <poppie@fidalgo.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:21:05 -0800

Hi:  Because I am quite new to the Leica Users Group, I still have some
funds left in my bank account although the money I have spent for toner
and paper to print Leica Digests is taking its' toll and I'm running out
fast!

One manufacturing specification that I have not seen mentioned or
discussed, and I would certainly think that it would be because (I
believe) that it is closely related and germane to the subject of
quality in Leica cameras and lenses, is the base metal used to produce
the 'silver' finish products.  If the information that I have received
from Jim Kuehl, an old Leica man,  in Des Moines is correct, the entire
silver line of equipment is produced from electro-plated brass metal and
the black products use anodized aluminum.  There is a considerable
difference between the two materials with brass being by far the better
selection for accuracy, durability, temperature stability, abrasion
(read wear) resistance and finish, among other advantages.  The only
thing the two metals have in common is that both are nonferrous.  Why
isn't this subject ever addressed by the pundits?  I hope this message
finds its' way into the Digest. I find that after wading thru 30 or 40
pages of chatter, there are always a few gold nuggets remaining in the
pan!  Regards,  Bill Carson