Subject: Re: [Leica] Ball heads and Lenses
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:28:46 -0500

Mitchell Baum wrote:

>         Hi. I'm new to the lug and new to Leica. I'm becoming very fond of my M6.
>         Some questions:  does anyone have experience and opinions about quick
> release plates for the M6, specifically Really Right Stuff versus Kirk
> Enterprises. Also, which ball heads,  and tripods would you recommend if
> light weight as well as quality is a consideration.
>         I also want to buy a 90mm and a 50mm lens, new, Summicron ASPH versus
> Elmarit in the 90. Summilux versus Summicron in the 50mm. One concern is
> how much the bigger lenses block the viewfinder field. I live in Maine four
> hours from the nearest dealer so trying them in hand before ordering is not
> a possibility. (One of the compensations of living here is I get to
> photograph the sun rise over sea smoke.)
>         Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>                         Thanks,
>                                 Mitchell

Mitchell,

I love my ARCA B1 with RRS plates. I have them on all my cameras (except
my Leicas). I must say that the design and finish on my RRS plates are
impecable. I have no problem with the ARCA head with my 4x5s,
Hasselblads and Canons. I don't use the RRS with my Leicas because they
have the Rapidwinder baseplate on them and I don't want to interfere
with its operation. Also, they're not meant to be tripod mounted. If I
want to photograph with a tripod any of the aformentioned systems are
available. Hope this helps.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/