Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Tests?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:19:12 -0400

Nathan,
Thanks for your reply, but, I would like to point out that I am learned
enough to know that a comparison test between a Ford Mustang and a BMW M3
the Mustang may go 0-60 faster than the M3 (but I doubt it) the M3 would
most likey be the overall winner. To continue with this auto analogy; every
Auto magazine in the world that does a road test or comparison test gives
you a very detailed analysis of a car through the numbers (including
reliability) so it is very easy to go through a number of road tets of the
cars you may be considering purchasing and make your selection. So, you
could say that this is "scientific" testing. And to the best of my knowledge
every scientific endeavor from Anthropology to cancer to film emulsion to
snow shovels to yacht design has some baseline numbers attached to it. And
so, yes I have "invested" quite a bit of my time in the past year trying to
get a grip on what Erwin is saying. And I have read everything Erwin has had
to say on the LUG and the LHSA Viewfinder on the subject of lens design and
its optical results and he is very adamant that his "scientific" testing is
the superior method. So assuming that on a scale of 1 to 10 "extremely fine"
is a 10 then where does "very fine" fit in? Is a "very good" a 4.5 or 6.3? I
have been pondering these questions for some time now and so I wonder to
myself "how does my Nikor 50mm 1.4 compare with my Summicron 50mm 2.0?" I am
sure both lenses would get a "exteremely fine" rating but is the Summicron a
9.4 and the Nikor a 9.2 or vice versa? So, with all due respect to Erwin you
are not going to find the answer on his website. Let me finish by saying
that while my photo track record (pictures published) is excellent only
because I have an excellent eye for composition, but, I am a real bozo when
it comes to anything technical and that is why I am attracted to a baseline
number.
Steve
Annapolis