Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux and filters
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:02:09 -0500

Joe B. wrote:

> What I am curious about is exactly why Leica recommend (I can't remember
> exactly where I read this) that filters not be used with the Noctilux.
> They don't say this about most of the other Leica lenses, and I wonder
> what the distinction is.

This is just a guess, but it might be because the Noctilux is designed
for minimal flare, and a filter, by introducing another glass-air
surface, could compromise some of its flare-proofness.

If I were lucky enough to own a Noctilux, I wouldn't hesitate to use
filters for control over the image. However, I wouldn't use the
traditional UV filter for protection, because I don't use those anyway.

Richard