Subject: [Leica] request advice on m6 purchase
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:18:09 +0000

>>>While visiting my local camera store, I came across a late classic M6
body
(black) and a late 50 mm 2.8 Elmar (black).  Both items came with
original
boxes
and packing materials and looked like they had never been used.  The
asking
price was $1699 for the body or $2000 for the set.  The shop offers a
30-day
warranty on used items.  Is this a good deal?  BTW, I also have to pay a
6%
state sales tax.

Thanks!

Rob McClure<<<

Rob,
Strictly, no. Although it's not far off. You may be able to do a little
better on the price from other sources--$1200 M6's are not all that rare
on eBay and the lens seldom goes for more than $600. Offer them $1800
and see what they do. Of course it may be worth it to you to spend a
little extra for the "bird in the hand" aspects, i.e., known good
condition and a store warrantee.

Generally, however, YES, it is something you should do! That is, if you
don't already own an M (you didn't say). Owning and learning an M6 is a
very positive experience for most photographers, and can really
contribute to your photography. I think I speak for the group (<s>) in
recommending it as a good move.

- --Mike Johnston, Editor in Chief
_PHOTO Techniques_ magazine
Niles, IL