Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux and filters
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:16:00 -0600

At 07:18 PM 23/01/2000 +0000, Joe B. wrote:

I might set up a test at some point to see if I can find a focusing shift
with filters, caused by the filter itself, on the Noctilux. This really
wouldn't be an issue except that I really like the strange look of infrared
Ektachrome through this lens. It would be nice to know for sure.
:::::::::::::::::

I'd like to see the results.  My working hypothesis might be that good
quality optical glass, mounted properly (exactly perpendicular to the lens
axis), will not cause a focusing shift in the IR, but it still is worth
testing.

Several months ago the LUG carried a discussion about image degradation
with UV filters and Leica lenses.  Some people said that they were planning
to do controlled tests, looking for differences in images shot with and
without UV filters.  Has anyone done these tests?  If so, what is the
verdict on this?

I wish I had some way to scan film.  I could show you some shots taken with
the 35 Summilux ASPH and a red 25 filter, which show just how badly the
filter can cause an image to break up!  I didn't have a clue what was going
to happen beforehand (one lament about no preview capabilities with a
rangefinder) otherwise I would have removed the filter and done some
comparison shots.  Strong backlighting, sun in frame, snow-covered
contrasty subject ... the filter killed it, but was "necessary" to get the
contrast in the sky I was aiming for.  If I get time,  I'll do some
comparison shots using a naked lens (sounds like fun eh?) and one with a UV
added.  Blowing up a small section of frames processed and printed
identically should help to show what happens.