Subject: Fwd: RE: [Leica] stitch-up - now freezing balls (OT)
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:15:34 EST

- --part1_48.c0b0b1.25be6f56_boundary

In a message dated 1/23/00 5:10:36 PM, timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca writes:

<< Similar to the phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

I had always been told that Nelson era ships stacked their cannonballs on a

brass triangle with legs known as a brass monkey (in fact I remember this

being pointed out when going round Nelsons HMS Victory once).>>

There's a nice brass monkey in Heidelberg. And you touch his balls for
fertility. THat's good luck, I guess. But for this group, with its Valkyrie
obssessions, it should be "Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra." And I
don't know where that one came from. But it describes the weather in Michigan.

DAS

- --part1_48.c0b0b1.25be6f56_boundary

Similar to the phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

I had always been told that Nelson era ships stacked their cannonballs on a
brass triangle with legs known as a brass monkey (in fact I remember this
being pointed out when going round Nelsons HMS Victory once).

When travelling in very cold climes (i.e. Canada!) the brass contracted
enough for the balls to fall of...!  So it is not exactly a terribly off
colour phrase. And I'm sure those jolly matelots were unaware of the double
entendre (ha ha ha).

Maybe apocryphal, but the little device on the Victory was known as a brass
monkey.

Tim A