Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux Result????
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:11:57 -0800

Jim Bielecki wrote:
>An apple and oranges comparison?  Let's not forget that the Canon 50mm F1.2
>was introduced in 1956 and the F0.95 in 1961.  The F1.0 Noctilux made it
>appearance in 1976.>>>

OOPS Jim,

<<<The F1.0 Noctilux made it appearance in 1976.>>>>>>

I owned and was using a Noctilux f 1.0 in 1967 and have used the same lens
since! And with quite startlingly good results. You may have made a typo on
the date. Is that possible?

As far as an, "apple and oranges comparison?" I think not, as there really
isn't any comparison to the Noctilux. Yes there is the Canon f.1.0 and the
f.0.95, but neither are in the same league as the Noctilux.  It stands
completely on it's own without comparison.

And after 33 years experince with this lens I wouldn't touch any other 50mm
lens! Yep some maybe crisper looking under some conditions, but it doesn't
matter, as they don't look like anything at f.1.0 when you need it and they
don't have it.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant