Subject: Re: [Leica] was: Loading M. Piece of cake! :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:53:17 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

>Well I must be the only one with ten thumbs.  I still get misloads with my
>M4 after 20+ years.  I have to admit that Ted's method of crimping the end
>helps.  (saw that in an earlier post)  If I just do it like in the diagram
>forget it.  Is the M4 spool slipperier than the later Ms?>>>>>

Hi Mike,

Just to make it clear.... I still screw-up loading on occasion, so my
friend don't sweat it.  When I crimp the film as you mention and using M4's
to M6's, I rarely have a problem.

If there is one, it's because I'm in too damn much of hurry! And or I'm
showing someone how "easy it is to load this kind of camera!" :) It never
fails, just when you're kind of "showing off" the simplicity of this
wonderful German camera, "Leica the finest camera in the world!":)  What
happens?

OOPS! the film doesn't take up and now you have to make excuses, it was,
"the film isn't made like it used to be!" ;)

It's like you always blame the "lab" when there is a screw-up because you
forgot to load the camera correctly. Or heavans to bid...."you forgot to
put film in the camera and shot the assignment on an empty box!" :)

What?  You guys haven't done that? Never mind your turn is coming! :)

Some times even that doesn't wash and you stand there looking like a dummy! :)

Never mind, the crimping makes it more successful than not. When I buy a
couple of bricks I open and throw away all wrappings, then crimp roll
leaders and return to the plastic container for future use. Then I don't
have to think about it again.

The only problem with this?  If you try to load the crimped film in an R8
with the auto load it can be a problem. So I keep some rolls marked..."R8"
on the lid of the cassette which means they are not crimped. Makes for easy
auto loading.

It still comes down to, the M6 is really a piece of cake to load. And
crimping  the film leader makes it easier for all M cameras!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant