Subject: RE: [Leica] A trip to Paris
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:56:40 -0800

Bob,

I wouldn't recommend shipping film home via the mails. You're kissing it
goodbye (worst case) or it may be subject to X-ray by the new machines they
use for baggage at major airports, and those are death on films of any
speed. For the same reason, don't put any film in your checked luggage when
you fly. Unless you show up at Customs pushing a wheelbarrow full of boxed
film, they aren't likely to hassle you about quantity.

Carry all your film (raw and cooked) in your carry-on bag. The plastic bags
are a good idea, and while you can always ask for a hand check, outside the
U.S. you aren't entitled to it and aren't likely to get one---I invariably
lose arguments with people carrying machine pistols. About all you can do is
keep the number of trips through the x-ray machine to a minimum, radiation
exposure is cumulative. And, at least in western Europe, the machines have
improved in the past few years. Ten years ago, I had a half dozen rolls of
TMZ (EI 3200) ruined by one pass through the machine at Schipol in
Amsterdam; last November, my load of Delta 3200 survived at least four
passes through the x-ray machines (London and Dublin) without a scratch.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.