Subject: Re: [Leica] Save Leica!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:11:37 -0800

Rob Schneider-Laura Tully wrote:
><Snip>
> This is the Leica USERS group, right?  It's not the Leica investors,
> sympathizers or sycophants (well . . . .) group.  At least not for me.  If
> Leica can figure out how to maintain its niche in the 35mm marketplace, more
> power to 'em.  If they fold, so long, it was nice to know ya.  But I have a
> hunch that my M6's and lenses won't turn to dust the day they lock the
> factory gates.  And I won't stop using them, either.
>
> Rob Schneider

The M6 system I have consists of in a large part technology which came about
currently, recently, yesterday.
MY new 135 APO and 24 ASPH and 35 Summicron ASPH are all freshly pulled out of
Leicas sleeve.
But it does take a magician who is not ten feet under(and dead). :)
Had Leica died 3 years ago (3 years after I bought my first M6 body) most of my
current system would be a fig newton of someone elses imagination.
Some of us are talking as if Leica has not come up with a new trick in decades.
Lets not forget about this recent not overly priced glass glut which more than
ever makes me glad I went M system only 6 or 7 years ago.
Do we think Leica has run out of tricks just cause a big ASPH smash has not hit
us in 12 months?
They of course have a few more rabbits to pull out but have to be breathing to
do so. (so do the rabbits!:)
If Leica dies I will be one unhappy camper and so will most of us. (Unless we
are into that charming "soft look" of daze gone by)
I'm personally happy with just advances in glass as I'm happy with the camera
but Leica is a camera company capable of coming out with some new ideas in a camera.
Mark Rabiner
Always wondering what they could have come up with.
They move slow on things but they do move. This is a classic system.
A smaller winder.
A 28 Summicron ASPH.
A compact 2.8 75.