Subject: Re: [Leica] Light table guts?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:21:49 -0800

George Hartzell wrote:

>I found a drafting table that someone had converted into a light table
>by replacing the top with some kind of very hokey (slightly scary)
>fluorescent fixture.
>
>I'd like to do it right, with the goal of a nice evenly lit properly
>color balanced built in light table.  I know better than to try to
>build such a thing from Home Depot parts,>>>>
>Any suggestions?>>>>>

Hi George,

The home depot route is a piece of cake. And a heck of a lot cheaper.

Go to a used electrical shop, pick-up a working four tube four foot
flourecent  unit. For light source, buy (new) daylight balanced tubes or
"cool white" are pretty good.

You'll need a switch to turn it on or off, some electrical connecting cord
long enough to reach an outlet.

A used 6 ft folding table, 2 pieces of 6' X 6" X 1" pine boards, 2 pieces
4' X 6" X 1". Some nails and a hammer to nail them together. This box sits
on the table and the lamp fixture sits on the table facing up. Paint the
inside of the box and the table white....more reflective surface.

Go to a "commercail plastic" shop, have them cut a piece of 1/8th inch
translucent white plastic to fit exactly on top of your box. Assemble box
first to make sure you have exactly the right fit.

While at the lumber shop for the wood to build the box, pick-up some 1/2"
corner moulding, small nails to hold it to the box after the palstic is in
place.

Once you have this assembled you have a very good, safe and not the least
bit hokey light table for next to nothing compared to buying a store bought
one.

There are any number of variations you can make as well as sizes in
relation to the flourecent tubes and all very economically. We've put then
together in a few hours with a couple of buddies who wanted a cheap light
table.

Then I have a simple and very efficient metal "film drying" cabinet that
you can put together for about $25.00! Including metal cabinet, switch,
cord and 2 hair dryers! :) It's just as efficient as the $700-$800 dyers
and it hangs 36 exposure rolls without a wrinkle.

But then that's another story. :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant