Subject: [Leica] Re: Save Leica!
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:18:02 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> The M6 system I have consists of in a large part technology which came about
> currently, recently, yesterday.
> MY new 135 APO and 24 ASPH and 35 Summicron ASPH are all freshly pulled out of
> Leicas sleeve.
> But it does take a magician who is not ten feet under(and dead). :)
> Had Leica died 3 years ago (3 years after I bought my first M6 body) most of my
> current system would be a fig newton of someone elses imagination.
> Some of us are talking as if Leica has not come up with a new trick in decades.
> Lets not forget about this recent not overly priced glass glut which more than
> ever makes me glad I went M system only 6 or 7 years ago.
> Do we think Leica has run out of tricks just cause a big ASPH smash has not hit
> us in 12 months?
> They of course have a few more rabbits to pull out but have to be breathing to
> do so. (so do the rabbits!:)
> If Leica dies I will be one unhappy camper and so will most of us. (Unless we
> are into that charming "soft look" of daze gone by)
> I'm personally happy with just advances in glass as I'm happy with the camera
> but Leica is a camera company capable of coming out with some new ideas in a camera.
> Mark Rabiner
> Always wondering what they could have come up with.
> They move slow on things but they do move. This is a classic system.
> A smaller winder.
> A 28 Summicron ASPH.
> A compact 2.8 75.

Mark,

Your point (as well as B. D.'s and Steve Alexander's) is well taken.  But
once again it depends on the type of photography you want to do with a Leica
M.  For the vast majority of my personal work I could get by with an
M2/M4/M4-2/M4-P/M5 and a '70's vintage 35 Summicron (though I prefer the
immediate pre-ASPH).  So if Leica had turned up its toes back in the 70's
when it planned to can the M4 and get out of the RF market (at least that's
the story I heard), I could, and would, still be able to get a used camera
and lens to suit my needs.

Now, I'm delighted they have survived long enough to make the M6 and the 75
Summilux.  I love these tools and now that I have 'em, I wouldn't be without
'em.  I don't have any ASPH lenses, but I know they are glorious and I'm
glad they're around.  Some day I may even spring for a 35 'lux ASPH and/or a
21 ASPH.  I would love a smaller, quieter M Winder (with a vertical
release), though an Abrahamsson Rapidwinder is pretty slick.  But if none of
this stuff existed, I would still own an M and a 35 Summicron and I would be
happy.

The possibility of not being able to get b&w film?  Now that's troubling
indeed!

Rob Schneider