Subject: [Leica] Leica viability & Schmeidheiny* / Wild
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:50:29 EST

 I am aware that the Swiss conglomerate (Schmeidheiny?) allowed the camera
 division to separate from the mother company & float its own stock but isn't
 Leica still owned by them?  If so then it would be like GM or GE losing money
 in one department & being supported by the mother company,  Only a small
 part of Leica produces camera equipment - others more profitable are the
 medical & scientific instrument divisions.  I have heard that going puplic
with
 their stock, put $10,000,000 in the Leica coffers & that gimmick was used
 to sell their "Einstuck M6s" with one share of stock for around $6,500 each.

 Leicably - Mary Grace

 Canon & Nikon do the same thing but the difference is that their camera div.
 produce a profit along with the printers & other scientific stuff.