Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux and filters
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:19:35 -0500

B. D. Colen wrote, in part:

> One has to wonder whether the photo skills of all but one or two
> people on this list - or in this world, for that matter :-) - are so great
> that their photo skills won't degrade any image more than a Leica or B&W UV
> filter.

Your comparison is between apples and oranges, B.D. The lack of skill and
the presense of a UV filter may both ultimately result in degradation.
However, they are *different* types of degradation.  Degradation has
qualitative properties as well as quantitative.

Maybe people object to the quality of the degradation with a UV filter,
while not minding the shortcoming in their own technique.  Or, at the very
least, see the shortcoming in their technique as something they can work on
to eliminate, while the UV filter is something they can eliminiate in 10
seconds.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down
Interactive Systems Designer      | my clothes."
email: mvhoward@mac.com           |